Here’s a refreshing summer meal suggestion from David. He recommends using cucumbers that might have gotten a little too large.
- 1 pound cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups buttermilk (substitution ideas: 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt plus 1/4 cup water; goat milk and Greek yogurt, crème fraîche with goat milk; or, a non-dairy milk with two tablespoons of Umami)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 small whole scallions, trimmed
- ½ jalapeño, seeded, de-veined and chopped
- ½ cup packed mixed fresh herbs (like mint, parsley, dill, tarragon, basil and cilantro)
- ½ teaspoon sherry, white wine vinegar or a nice light white wine to taste
- ¾ teaspoon kosher sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ear of corn, shucked, kernels sliced off
- Fresh dill, for serving
Avocado Toast Ingredients
- 4 slices baguette or other bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender or food processor, combine cucumber, buttermilk, garlic, anchovy, scallions, jalapeño, fresh herbs, sherry vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Smash avocado slices on the toasted bread. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, squeeze lemon juice over the top and finish each with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Distribute soup between 4 bowls and garnish with raw corn kernels and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve avocado toast on the side.
Notes and Variations:
Add roasted Hatch chile peppers.
Make a hybrid version with potatoes or cauliflower or just about any vegetable.
Cheddar and turmeric are good too.